Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Week 3

Uhhhhh.....earth to Jessica!  Okay, pick head up off the floor and screw back on.  This is a lot of information!  Let's get down to brass tacks.

Google Docs:  Love it. Use it. Live it.  Google Docs is so convenient.  I am always going back and forth between my work PC, my ipad, and my home PC.  No more hard drives, flash drives or emailing back and forth.  Even throughout the school day, if something happens and I need to call a parent, I can simply get the number from my "Parent Contacts" spreadsheet on my Google Drive.  Just in the last week, two friends had lost papers they were typing for school because something happened to their hard drives.  The solution: Google Docs!

Diigo:   This was a new one for me.  Of all the social bookmarking sites that we explored, this one is my favorite for saving sites.  I've already begun saving a lot of sites for lesson planning and activity ideas.

Dropbox and Evernote: Still learning about these.  I have a feeling I like Evernote better.  I hope it proves useful and that I can use it to get organized.

Google Hangouts: This has been a lot of fun.  Very useful for group work and collaboration.  How great would it have been to have this in college and not have to meet in person for study groups, group projects, lab groups, etc.  I've enjoyed being able to see and get to  know my group members in a more personal way than email.

3 comments:

  1. It has been great using Google Hangouts for our group work and collaboration. Once we get everyone on board it has worked very well. I agree with you that this would have been great in college instead of driving to the campus or to some other spot to collaborate on group work. Evernote is very interesting and I tend to agree with you that it might be better than Dropbox. I am interested in your usage of Diigo. I am still not quite sure about it.

    What a great idea you have to put the parent contact sheet on Google docs. The possibilities are certainly endless. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a wonderful layout to your blog!! I have too enjoyed using Google Hangout. I saw my husband use it awhile ago to participate in a baseball draft and it was a blast (maybe more for the men than the women)! Imagine how our own eduction would have changed if we had it in college! Such a valid point to ponder. Do you think you will use it for the mommy's group you were talking about? I hope it does work out for you!!

    I am also going to lean with Barbara and get very excited about the parent contact sheet on Google Documents. What a great collaboration piece!!!

    Have you had more chance to explore Diigo? I am getting to know it still and I will be open minded, however, I am still learning on Google Drive and Evernote. Who know which will win in the end!?! Look forward to reading more from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you love Google Docs so much. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I like the freedom from the hard drive, but I get annoyed that Google Docs lacks the same functionality as Microsoft Office. One could argue about the auto-save feature, but you can change those settings in MSOffice as well. I am curious to see how you organize your Google Docs as well - I find it very annoying to try and get everything organized just the way I want it.

    Have you used Dropbox at all to access your files? If you don't mind the basic features of Google Docs, then I suppose it's not a big deal for you - I personally store things on Dropbox so I can still use the fun features of Microsoft.

    I'd love to see some of your Diigo groups sometime!!! Keep up the inspirational work! :-)

    ReplyDelete